lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] connect block for ever?? (i need a workaround)

From: Piero 74
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] connect block for ever?? (i need a workaround)
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:26:52 +0200

2008/10/2 Kieran Mansley <address@hidden>
On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 12:12 +0200, Piero 74 wrote:
> Hi kieran
>

> I'm using BSD socket. All my application is build above sockets.

I don't think the sockets API in lwIP supports and sort of user-settable
timeout or asynchronous operation.
i suppose no

I think the TCP stack should eventually give up retransmitting the SYN,
yes, this is my understanding, i found  TCP_MAXSYNRTX  option

and I hope this error should get propagated back to the application, but
the nature of TCP is such that these timeouts can be of the order of
hours rather than minutes.
HOURS??? my understanding is that SYN packet will be send  TCP_MAXSYNRTX times,
using a not simple timeout schema... but i hope that this timeout could be of the order of seconds
and the function netconn_connect returns after this error  (i have to d some test) :O|

You could probably fiddle with the SYN
timeout specification to adjust this for your now needs by either
setting the TCP_MAXSYNRTX (defaults to 6)
i hope this is the solution :O|

or adjusting the timeouts
between retransmissions (see the use of the tcp_backoff array in
src/core/tcp.c) but the latter will affect data packets as well as SYN
packets.
i saw the code, and it seems more complex... i think is better don't change tcp_backoff array :O(

Bye,
Piero