lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] On PBUF was: Work on tcp_enqueue

From: Alain M.
Subject: [lwip-devel] On PBUF was: Work on tcp_enqueue
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 20:37:07 -0200

I am jijacking this thread for a subject that has come along in it:

PBUF

I would like to suggest a place to list all different necessities regarding pbufs, maybe a special page in the wiki (if many devellopers can have write access)

There are lots of different aspects, just to name a few:
- zero copy
- copy optimyzed: on 32 bit archs, an specially ARM and CortexM3 there a lot of tricks to speed up copy about 5 times!! things like word aligment but also multiples or 4/8 words for fast copy, etc..
- DMA: this is very usefull and varies wildly in various archs
- internal copy and pbuf list, as stated in this mesage about tcp_enqueue
- etc..

Maybe that if we manage to put all this toghether, a future version or patch could be more flexible!!

first list what is needed
second plan
third to it, if someone volunteers, of course :)

Alain

Jakob Stoklund Olesen escreveu:

First of all: I am sorry for posting comments directly to the lwip-devel
list. For any new listeners out there, there is some discussion about this
task in the January 2009 archives of lwip-devel.

I have attached a patch for tcp_enqueue that fixes the issue discussed here.
It was not as simple as I had hoped. The tcp_enqueue function is quite scary.
I have tested this patch, but please try to test it on different systems.
There are many things that can go wrong.