lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] etharp_arp_input static

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] etharp_arp_input static
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:40:29 +0100

Kieran Mansley wrote:
When compiling the unixsim project at the moment (part of the unix port)
I get an error like this:

../../../../ports/unix/netif/tapif.c:307: undefined reference to
`etharp_arp_input'

This is due to a recent change to src/lwip/netif/etharp.c that made this
function static and so only available internally.

Was this change deliberate?
Yes.
I.e. is the unix port wrong to be trying to
access this function directly, or should I just make the function
non-static again to fix this?
Seems like the unix port is still behaving the wrong way: etharp wasn't thread safe (up to 1.1.x or 1.2.0) because all the netif input threads called etharp_x_input() directly. Instead, the interfaces should now call netif->input() for all supported packets. If they support ARP, netif->input will call ethernet_input() (which in turn calls etharp_arp_input for ARP packets and ip_input for IP packets), if they don't support ARP, netif->input will call ip_input().

I can fix that unless you'd do it anyway if you are currently working on it. Just drop me a mail...

Simon