lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #8755] Multicast DNS responder support

From: Erik Ekman
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #8755] Multicast DNS responder support
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 12:00:20 +0000

Follow-up Comment #5, patch #8755 (project lwip):

Correct, this is the server part, to let other hosts in the local network know
that a service exists and where to reach it. There were three different tasks
logged before, the two others represent the client and DNS integration.

I thought about the apps thing. I will soon add timer functions and netif
change callbacks. If that still is reasonable to have in apps, I am fine with
a move.

To make hostname.local. resolvable with the DNS client we need to catch names
which end in .local. and query them on the v4/v6 multicast groups and then
pass the answer back to the client in some way. This is related to building an
mDNS client that can find services/hosts to connect to.

IGMP is used to join/leave the 224.0.0.251 multicast group. I think it is
needed for a switch to forward the multicast data. I don't think the
membership query is used normally though, so maybe just a subset of it is
required.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?8755>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/