lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #49139] IGMP "All Systems" vs MLD "All Nodes" inconsis

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #49139] IGMP "All Systems" vs MLD "All Nodes" inconsistency
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 11:06:30 +0000 (UTC)

I'd say it makes sense to keep the address: even if *you* don't need it,
there's a possibility *someone* implements a filter that really does
add/remove addresses. And as we already have the address, I see no need to not
pass it on.

As to the actual subject of this bug: there's a fundamental difference in MLD
and IGMP: if you have IPv6 enabled, you
*always* need to handle the all-nodes group. In contrast to this, IGMP is
rather optional and can be enabled/disabled in products. As such, it makes
sens to pass the address on to the filter because it can be removed once
'igmp_stop()' is called.

However, I do see that it could be strange for people writing IPv6 code (or
netif drivers) that the all-nodes group has to be enabled without the netif
being explicitly told...

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?49139>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/