lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] [bug #52770] mdns: move the announcements to a timer ca

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] [bug #52770] mdns: move the announcements to a timer callback
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2018 09:30:21 -0600

On 1/2/2018 5:34 AM, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:

I'm afraid I don't understand. What's missing for you now? You can pass
'mdns_resp_announce' to tcpip_callback() (which won't get removed!) or
sys_timeout(). That will fix your stack requirements. Or is stack usage still
too high?

Next, you can check the netif state to see if the netif is up already (so you
have to issue an announcement) or no (the announcement will be sent once it's
up). Or is this just too uncomfortable?

The netifapi will be deprecated but retained for backwards compatibility.
That's a vague plan, not a fixed roadmap. Unless it's done, don't rely on it!
Even in the future when the message passing synchronization (!LWIP_TCPIP_CORE_LOCKING) is removed, I think the netifapi still provides utility.  These APIs provide a nice encapsulation of the locking requirements and don't require the application developer (sequential APIs are used from external apps) to have to worry about correct usage of LwIP core locking.  I've seen numerous examples of when locking wasn't understood or was omitted altogether.

Joel