lwip-users

[lwip-users] regarding lwip, loopif and ip_route

From: Jim Buteau
Subject: [lwip-users] regarding lwip, loopif and ip_route
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:38:29 -0700

Hello,

I have an application which calls lwip_connect()  to a sockaddr representing
itself.  When the resultant TCP packet makes it down to etharp_output(), a
call to etharp_query() results.  The packet is queued while a query goes out
on this (the interface's own) address.  No one responds and the connect
attempt times out.

BTW lwip is configured with an ethernet and a loopback interface.

I have a few questions which I hope are simple to answer:

1- Somewhere down the call stack shouldn't some routine have seen that the
dest matched the ethernet ipaddr and directed the packet at the loopif?  I
am tempted to add this capability to ip_route().  On the other hand I can't
find any precedent for this on lwip-users or anywhere I've searched.

2- Should/Could  the arp_table be initialized with its own ip-hw address
pair so that an initial query is unnecessary?

3- Is there an implicit assumption that ethernet controllers will loop back
packets?

Thanks anyone for your help.
Jim