lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] Start of lwip

From: Curt McDowell
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] Start of lwip
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:31:41 -0800

The lwip sockets API and stack run together in a threaded model.

tcpip_thread() is a server thread, which you can think of as playing the role
of the operating system kernel.  It runs the entire
lwip stack state machine and presents two well-defined mailbox interfaces:

(1) A mailbox interface for clients.  Applications call socket functions in
api_lib.c, which turns them into
"remote procedure call" messages, and sends them to tcpip_thread() via
api_msg.c:api_msg_input().  tcpip_thread() reads these
requests and turns them into raw API calls to lwIP.

(2) A mailbox interface for network devices.  Each network device is
implemented as one or more threads playing the role of
interrupt handler.  When a network device receives a packet, it's sent to
tcpip_thread() on the mailbox interface via
tcpip:tcpip_input().  tcpip_thread() then injects them into lwIP using
ip_input().

It's a reasonable model because it cleanly separates the application, kernel,
and network driver.  It's not strictly necessary to
have a separation between kernel and network driver.  In a real implementation
your network driver may well call ip_input()
directly, and you will have to work out any
semaphores/polling/locking/interrupt aspects unique to your situation.

Regards,
Curt McDowell
Broadcom Corp.