lwip-users

RE: [lwip-users] sys_timeout

From: Curt McDowell
Subject: RE: [lwip-users] sys_timeout
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:30:07 -0800

Christiaan,

The way sys_arch is implemented, timeouts can only fire when the main process
is sleeping on a semaphore or mailbox using either
sys_sem_wait() or sys_mbox_fetch() in src/core/sys.c.

I think it's an architectural deficiency that any of sys_arch is implemented in
the lwip core.  The whole idea of sys_arch is to
provide a system abstraction, but currently it's difficult to replace
sys_timeout() and other sys_arch functionality with a native
O/S implementation.  Worse, any application that wants to use lwip is forced to
be based on lwip's sys_arch primitives.

Regards,
Curt McDowell
Broadcom Corp.