lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Lwip performance measurement

From: Sathya Thammanur
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Lwip performance measurement
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 07:13:11 -0700

You can use Iperf to measure the performance of lwip.

http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/

Iperf is a tool to measure maximum TCP bandwidth, allowing the tuning of various parameters and UDP characteristics. Iperf reports bandwidth, delay jitter, datagram loss.

Sathya

On 6/14/06, Kieran Mansley <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-06-14 at 08:03 +0200, Andres Ortiz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anybody knows how to measure the lwip performance (Throughput and
> Latency) ?

It depends on which API you want to measure the performance of.

> Is it possible to use any standard tool such as netpipe ?

Yes, it should be, if you're using the sockets API.  However, the
performance of the current implementation of the sockets API is pretty
poor - certainly much below the raw API - so I'm not sure it will give
you particularly useful numbers.

Writing a pair of simple ping-pong (for latency) and streaming (for
bandwidth) style test app for the raw API shouldn't take more than a few
minutes, and I expect someone has already done so.  Perhaps they would
like to contribute it back to the "contrib" module if so.

Performance will depend very heavily on the hardware you have, and the
configuration of lwIP.  E.g. how much memory is available for receive
packet buffers etc.

Kieran