lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Re: Desired - reference netconn_write() to external mem

From: Çağlar AKYÜZ
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Re: Desired - reference netconn_write() to external memory
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 17:09:30 +0300

Kieran Mansley yazmış:
On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 16:25 +0300, Çağlar AKYÜZ wrote:

Actually I think this will not improve the performance of MAC. Because ACK'ing of TCP frames is one of the major drawbacks which degrades performance ( thanks to Delayed ACK algorithm!).

Only in a very limited set of circumstances will the delayed ACK
algorithm result in poorer performance.  Namely, when the TCP window has
been set to a very small value.  Changing this configuration option will
remove any bottleneck that the delayed ACK algorithm is imposing.
I tried to increase recieve window but it always resulted in a poorer performance with my SAM7X. ( Maybe I'm too low in memory?) . is TCP window size related to somewhat pbufs? I don't know if I have to increase number of buffers as well.
There
are TCP extensions such as the "quickack" mode in linux's TCP stack that
stop the use of delayed ACK during the slow start phase of TCP
connections, but the performance difference that this is likely to lead
to in lwIP is minimal.
Actually I didn't mean to say that problem is related to LWiP. I wanted to say that delayed ACK algorithm is slowing TCP connections in our case and my Windows machine do not provide me any way to change this setting. ( Thanks to Linux as you noted. )
ACKing of packets can be arguably said in fact to increase performance,
as without it the sender couldn't discover the maximum rate it could
send without packet loss, and so if it didn't wish to lose data would
have to be more conservative with how fast it sent packets.
Thanks for this quote. I'll remember this.

Çağlar