lwip-users

Re: RE : [lwip-users] Device name

From: Nicolas Pinault
Subject: Re: RE : [lwip-users] Device name
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:46:41 +0200

To ping a device via a name ('ping my-device' instead of 'ping 192.168.1.2') you need a name-to-IP-address service. This is usually done with DNS, or in simpler cases, with just an entry in a hosts file on every machine that should be able to resolve the name to an IP address. As S. Ali Tokmen wrote, NetBIOS name service can do similar things, but I would not use such an out-dated mechanism, which is OS specific, too. That's what DNS was invented for.

If you want to update/alter DNS entries dynamically, you should use dynamic DNS updates. See RFC 2136.
I'll have a look at it when I have time.

Cheers,
Juri

PS: '_' is not a valid character in terms of DNS host names...

It was just an example but thanks for the remark.

Thank you for your support.

Nicolas