lwip-users

[lwip-users] Priority connections for lwIP

From: steinarl
Subject: [lwip-users] Priority connections for lwIP
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 00:16:25 +0200

Hi,

For my thesis I implemented priority connections in lwIP. The only protocols supported are UDP, IPv4 and ARP. Adam Dunkels mentioned Priority Connections back in the "Full TCP/IP for 8-bit architectures" paper, so I thought this might be of some interest to the community.

The solution is something of a hack, and it would require some effort to make it work with all lwIP protocols. The strategy is to have the tcpip thread prioritize packets strictly based on the TOS field either in the IP header or in the UDP pcb. Instead of a single mbox it services a configurable amount of mboxes.

I've made changes here and there, some which may not be interesting, so I don't think a unified diff or anything like that would be useful. Do send me an email if you're interested, and I can send you the code. I also made some UML sequence and communication diagrams, mainly data transmission and reception from socket to network interface.

Regards,
Steinar Lieng Fredriksen