lwip-users

[lwip-users] buffering outgoing packets

From: Tyrel Newton
Subject: [lwip-users] buffering outgoing packets
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:43:17 -0700

I'm working on modifying and optimizing the XEmaclite network interface driver provided with the Xilinx/MicroBlaze development tools. The driver queues outgoing packets if the packet cannot be sent immediately. This makes perfect sense to me. However, a comment in the output function reads:

    /*
* If we cannot send the packet immediately, then make a copy of the whole packet * into a separate pbuf and store it in the send queue. We cannot enqueue the pbuf
     * as is since parts of the pbuf may be modified inside lwIP.
     */

I'm wondering if there is any truth to this statement. Do outgoing packets that are queued at the network interface driver level really need to be copied verbatim into a separate buffer? This seems counter-intuitive to lwIP's low-memory usage design goals.

Thanks,
Tyrel