lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] buffering outgoing packets

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] buffering outgoing packets
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:10:49 +0200

Tyrel Newton wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is any truth to this statement. Do outgoing
> packets that are queued at the network interface driver level
> really need to be copied verbatim into a separate buffer? This seems
> counter-intuitive to lwIP's low-memory usage design goals.

That's a topic we've already discussing about and which we wanted to fix with
1.4.0 (as it might involve API- or doc-changes). You can always try to not copy
the packets (which is of course desirable), but you *might* run into changes if
you are using the RAW API and are re-using pbufs passed to one of the
output/send/write functions *or* if you are using IP-fragmentation (IP_FRAG==1).

See http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7896 and
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?29361 for bugtracker entries about this issue.

Simon