lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] lwIP stack with MODBUS TCP/IP on application layer

From: Marco Jakobs
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] lwIP stack with MODBUS TCP/IP on application layer
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 22:39:01 +0200

Hi Gabriel,

I'm using MODBUS IP in some projects with LwIP and FreeRTOS. I'm using the netconn API, and it works great. As MODBUS is not using TCP for acknowledgement (in contrast to IEC 60870-104), i would suggest you to also implement the choice of using MODBUS UDP as well. It is not defined in the standard, but more and more devices are supporting it. With TCP you have always a "double acknowledgement" which causes useless traffic, especially on slow connections.

Kind regards
Marco