lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] HOWTO LwIP if NO_SYS = 1

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] HOWTO LwIP if NO_SYS = 1
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 13:27:39 +0200

Niraj Kulkarni wrote:
In continuation with pervious questions, I have few more

1.      What is the significance of "ram" variable in mem_init().
         I am referring : LwIP_M16C (although it is for uCos OS and my system
is NO OS),
         here "ram" is a well array defined by user of size MEM_SIZE
         In lwip-1.4.0.rc2 source code : "ram" is a static u8_t pointer.

         I guess MEM_SIZE is the maximum heap memory (or say buffer ) lwip will
use and I have to configure
         "memp" and "pbuf_pool" considering MEM_SIZE in mind.

         Should I assign my controllers RAM memory to this "ram" variable?
No, just define MEM_SIZE and the compiler will allocate memory for you. But make sure your compiler/linker warns if you allocate too much memory for your target controller
2.      As I will be using NO_SYS = 1 , in a single-threaded (non-OS)
environment,
         What will be my "input_function" in netif_add : ip_input() or
tcpip_input() ?
When using an ethernet device, ethernet_input() will be the correct function. tcpip_input() will not even be compiled for NO_SYS==1.
         Ref: http://www.sics.se/~adam/lwip/os.html
That one is so old. It can be used as a starter, but not as an up-to-date reference: since Adam wrote this, many things have changed in the stack.

Simon