lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Custom memory management

From: Mason
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Custom memory management
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 17:23:25 +0200

Simon wrote:

> You're right, that won't get too easy.
>
> For the RX side, using a *custom* PBUF_REF would be the best solution.
> That's a pbuf that has a 'freed' callback and references external
> memory. However, that doesn't work, yet (though I planned to add support
> for it as I can see it's one possible solution to implement DMA MAC
> drivers). The problem here is that pbuf_header() can't grow such pbufs
> (as it doesn't know the original length). This would have to be fixed by
> changing the struct pbuf (if only for PBUF_REF pbufs).

I'm concerned when you say "it doesn't work, yet" because
that's the solution I implemented ;-(

Let me describe what I did, so you can tell me where it
blows up...

I've defined a new struct packet_info_t which stores a pbuf
(for lwip) and an OS descriptor.

typedef struct { struct pbuf_custom pbuf; ethernet_async_t desc; }
packet_info_t;

The driver manages N such structures, one per buffer in the
RX pool. A buffer's address and length are stored in desc.

For each structure, pbuf->custom_free_function points to my
custom free function -- which does not actually *free* but
returns the buffer to the RX pool.

When a packet is received, it is stuffed inside a custom pbuf
and sent to the input function:

    packet_info_t *info = WAIT_FOR_NEXT_PACKET( )
    /*** PROCESS THE PACKET ***/
    ethernet_async_t *desc = &info->desc;
    struct pbuf *pbuf = pbuf_alloced_custom(PBUF_RAW, desc->length, PBUF_RAM,
&info->pbuf, desc->buffer, MAX_FRAME_SIZE);
    mynetif->input(pbuf, mynetif);

And when lwip wants to free the custom pbuf, it calls my
custom function. Seems to work OK. What is the problem
with this strategy?

> As to the TX side: normally, TX pbufs are allocated as PBUF_RAM, the
> memory for that is taken from the heap by calling mem_malloc(). Now the
> simple solution would be to just replace mem.c by your own code
> allocating and freeing from your TX pool: with the correct settings,
> mem_malloc() isn't used for anything else but PBUF_RAM pbufs. The only
> problem might be that you don't know in advance how big the memory
> blocks are (and thus how big your TX buffer entries should be), but by
> using TCP_OVERSIZE, you can just use the maximum ethernet frame size (if
> you don't mind wasting some RAM for smaller packets).

RX and TX buffers are large enough to store a full-sized
Ethernet frame, i.e. MAX_FRAME_SIZE is defined to 1536
(for alignment reasons).

However, I was trying to make the port as clean as possible
by making as few modifications inside lwip as possible.

I'll have to balance performance vs portability, I guess.
Maybe copying every outgoing packet is not such a big deal
after all?  ;-)

Regards,

Mason