lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Being notified of an address conflict when setting addr

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Being notified of an address conflict when setting address manually
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 20:53:55 +0200

Mason wrote:
IMO, autoIP is the answer to a different question. Namely, one
wants automatic configuration, but without a DHCP server. In my
case, there's a pre-existing network, and all I want is to
detect a misconfiguration (human error) to be able to warn the
user that the address he chose is already in use.

Yep, AutoIP is something different from the usage scenario. However, from the technical point of view, it's very close to what you want. I wouldn't automatically switch off the local netif though: I think it should be up to the application to decide whether to set the netif down or not. If you just set the netif down when you receive an ARP announcement/response that is not from your MAC, that would result in both devices shutting down.

I think I remember reading about duplicate address reporting when reading about Ethernet/IP... As none of the lwIP developers seems to find the time to implement this, the fastes way for you would probably be to just intercept ARP responses where they are passed to DHCP and handle them yourself.

Simon