lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV using Lynx as an automatic agent step by step

From: A. R. Vener
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV using Lynx as an automatic agent step by step
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:41:51 -0500 (EST)

As Henry requested here it is:

Step 1: Follow the links to the link where the form is located. Don't actually
       enter that page. Stop just before you enter.
Step 2: Hit your Download key. For me that's D on Lynx 2.7
Step 3: specify a file name for the downloaded html such as tmp.html
Step 4:  First make note of the cgi script path in the action= firld.
         Then edit the form to replace the action=<their cgi script> with
         an action=<your cgi script>
         Your cgi script should simply email the resulting cgi data
         string to you or save it to a file.  I just wrote a C program
         to dump the string into a file.
Step 5: place the downloed and edited html form under your web page
step 6: place your cgi script into your cgi bin
step 7: run lynx and enter the data you want to use in the form
        in the tmp.html form.
Step 8: submit the form. This should either save the cgi string or email it
        to you depending on what action your script takes.
Step 9: save the cgi string in a fila, call it cgidata for now.
step 10: create a script file which contains the command:
    lynx -get_data http://www.whatever.com/their/cgi/path < cgidata > output
     OR
    lynx -post_data http://www.whatever.com/their/cgi/path < cgidata > output
    The correct method (Get or Post) should be specified in the tmp.html
    file you downloaded. Note that I had to change their GET to a POST since my
   server objects violently to using GET...

Hope this helps.

Rudy Vener
> From address@hidden  Sun Mar 23 22:47:56 1997
> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:10:37 +0900 (JST)
> From: Nelson Henry Eric <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV using Lynx as an automatic internet agent - Thanks!
>
> I know you're probably pressed for time, but could you post to
> lynx-dev a step-by-step guide on how to do what you did.  Some
> of the less unix savvy folks like me are probably still lost as
> to how to download the form itself and modify the action
> reference in the original cgi script.
>
> Thanks in advance, Rudy!
>
> __Henry

;