lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV ALT text alignment problem (lynx 2.7.1ac-0.108 and earlier

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ALT text alignment problem (lynx 2.7.1ac-0.108 and earlier versions)
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 17:16:35 -0500 (EST)

Al Gilman <address@hidden> wrote:
>to follow up on what Foteos Macrides said:
>
>>      The problems with ALTs for Lynx are going to escalate rapidly,
>> because the latest versions of the Big Two browsers have started using
>> ALTs as tooltips for GUIs.  I'm still thinking about what to do about
>> it in Lynx, and won't be around for a while to read lynx-dev discussion
>> about it, but will catch up the next time I'm in a position to log in
>> here.
>
>There will be the opportunity to caucus with representatives of
>the Big Two and other browsers to try to come up with a solution
>that works in all UIs in the Browser Guidelines Working Group
>(WAI-UI) of the WAI which is starting up.  If you or someone else
>with interest in and knowledge of Lynx were to participate in
>that group, we will probably get better all-around answers when
>it comes time to consense.
>
>The WAI doesn't entirely know how to deal with the Lynx community
>because of its loose structure, but there is a genuine desire to
>listen and learn.
>
>Check <www.w3.org/WAI/> for more information, or write to Jason
>or me and we can fill you in with more background.

        I'm not planning to subscribe to any more mail lists while
I have only occassional Internet access, 'cuz I'm already overwhelmed
with accumulated mail whenever I do log in here.

        This, in principle, is not a problem that needs to be solved
as far as the HTML 4.0 specs are concerned.  It's "simply" a matter
of getting both of the Big Two to support use of the TITLE attribute
in IMG and equivalent elements for tooltips (MSIE already does), so
that ALT stays free for ALT strings, and then getting all information
providers to use both ALT and TITLE attributes appropriately.  The
HTML 4.0 specs already specify that, although the use of TITLE for
tooltips isn't reiterated in the IMG section, which might help get
more information providers to use them in addition to ALTs, with
approrpriate strings for each.

        If Netscape doesn't follow suite, then we can offer patches
when it makes its sources available. :)

                                Fote