lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx386 and ISB

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx386 and ISB
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 17:57:48 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Klaus Peter Wegge wrote:

> This is done by the Internet SwitchBox Nexland ISB100, which
> does the IP-masquerating and serves as a gateway.
> It dials in, if some machine addresse an IP outside the LAN,
> hangsup when no traffic for some time and redials...
> In my configuration, the machines in the LAN have fix IP's.
                                                    ^^^
> It works very fine with the usual networking software of windowsxxx,
> Linux ...
> The only problem occurs with lynx386 compiled with DJGPP. I tested
> Starting lynx with a startpage outside is successful:
> The ppp-connection is started and browsing the world is no problem.
> Waiting some time (teatime) the ppp conection is closed.
> Selecting a link which needs again internetaccess,
> no redial is done.
> "looking up ...." is the message.
> Typing in a URL like:
> telnet://xxx.jjj.kkk.lll
> leads to an redial, but lynx never finds the nameserver again.

This is a stab in the dark, since I have never worked with such a
system. When you say the IP address of each machine on the LAN is fixed,
are you talking about an internal IP address or the IP address that the
ISP assigns when you call in. If the ISP is assigning an IP number to
the PPP connection dynamically, this changes each time the connection
is redialed. Does the IP masquerading take care of this, or does the IP
number for the "myip=" line in WATTCP.CFG change each time you call.
If this is not a fixed address on your LAN, it needs to be changed in
WATTCP.CFG each time there is a redial. If this or a similar problem
seems likely, you might want to post the contents of your WATTCP.CFG
file to see if anyone sees any problems with it. If this is irrelevant
to your LAN system, please ignore this message.
                            Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)