lynx-dev

lynx-dev HP Forum: Bad HTTP Redirect

From: David Woolley
Subject: lynx-dev HP Forum: Bad HTTP Redirect
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 1998 11:15:54 +0100 (BST)

To the HP Webmaster:

After fighting through many anonymous links and anonymous usemaps containing
anonymous links (I think alt is mandatory in HTML 4!), I finally tried to
register, for the community forum for DeskJet 670Cs.  The duplicate name
page came back OK, but on a successful(?) submission I got back what I
assume was a broken 303 redirect to a non-absolute URL.  I suspect you
are relying on the particular error recovery in certain browsers to
assume that a redirect to /xxx means http:<site-we-submitted-to>/xxxx.

(Note that most web servers will do the redirect internally for static pages;
I suspect that it was the fact that this was a CGI page with parameters that
caused the broken URL to be transmitted.  You are not using one of the
traditional servers, though.)

(For Lynx list.  If there isn't already error handling for this in 2.8, it
might be worth validating a redirect a bit more, and even condescending
to use the same error recovery as the big two.)

                     You have reached the Information Page

Lynx Version 2.7.2

File that you are currently viewing

   Linkname: HP DeskJet User Community Forum - Register