lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: download page

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: download page
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:06:32 -0400 (EDT)

> When I redesigned head of UIPs (including the download page), I also put
> 'newdoc.link = 1' or 'newdoc.link++' to skip the help link.
>
> But this was not enough; Tom had core dumps with this implementation
> (which didn't happen for Solaris). So Tom removed the 'skip help
> link' part from the patch. That's why you get 'help as the first link'.
>       (I don't know enough about newdoc structure both I think '.link'
>       has to be changed with '.line'. So Tom, will that core dump
>       happen again if 'newdoc.link=1; newdoc.line=1' is set together.
>       I can not test this because I had no core dump with only
>       newdoc.link=1 on Solaris).
I'm not certain:  I got a core dump in an array reference to the available
links, found that it was due to skipping over the link when it wasn't
really there (e.g., when I was viewing source).  The adjustments to
newdoc.link appeared to be ad hoc, without a good way to ensure that they
really matched the webpages.  So I took out that part of the patch.

> So far everybody wanted to go back to old style, but nobody tried to
> sort _new_ problems :-). I think this 'context sensitive pages' has to be
> dealt with after oncoming release.
right - I'd like to hold off on new features, review the newer stuff & fix
holes (update documentation to indicate drawbacks of new experimental
features), move on to test-builds and release that.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden