lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.2dev 15 trace bug ?

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx 2.8.2dev 15 trace bug ?
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 05:17:13 -0500 (EST)

> I ran
>
> lynx -trace URL
>
> where the URL was some arbitrary site.  When I did a Q to exit lynx, I
> got:
> delete anchor:55/1,1,0
> http://www.watercolor.com/projectsites/ImportCD/website/icd_html/icd_body_home.cfm
>

> written to the screen.
>
> I think that somewhere there is a trace line going to stdout or stderr
> instead of to the trace file.

possibly (I'll take a look -- the "delete anchor" string should be findable)

> Another peculiar thing that I saw was that before using trace, lynx was
> reporting Bad HTML ... turn on trace to get more info.  When I turned on
> trace, I got a 9000+ line file - without a line saying "error".  I did
> find a "Bad HTML" just now as I was typing.  It would be nice if warnings and
> errors that are going to be reported to the user of lynx might be tagged
> with a special string indicating in the trace where they are...  Would
> there be 1 or 2 places in the code where I could determine that ? I would

no - it's distributed throughout the code.  and (without modifying
the CTRACE lines) I don't see a way to automatically tag some as errors.

> hate to have to change many tracing lines...

same here (I figured we could revisit this after 2.8.2, once we have some
burn-in on the varargs stuff I added in HTSprintf0).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden