lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev what are cascading style sheets?

From: Jacob Poon
Subject: Re: lynx-dev what are cascading style sheets?
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 1999 00:28:09 -0500

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> Could someone give a brief description of what cascading style sheets are?
>
> I know Lynx doesn't do them, but the following paragraph from the IMDB
> newsletter piqued my interest:
>
> >We began using the CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) specification.
> >Though the site is still usable by browsers that do not support CSS,
> >the implementation of CSS has allowed us to tap into more advanced
> >design elements and functions available in the 4.x versions or higher
> >of Netscape or Microsoft Internet Explorer.
>
> If implementing CSS would mean I wouldn't have to page through a few pages
> of links in Lynx that show up as a column on the left in a GUI browser,
> then by all means, someone implement them..  (I'm being somewhat non-serious)

*WARNING* to fellow Lynx developers:

Recently US Patent Office had granted Microsoft for 'The use of style
sheets in an electronic publishing system'.  That means if we are going to
add CSS on Lynx, we may find Redmond lawyers knocking our doors.  See

http://www.patents.ibm.com/patlist?icnt=US&patent_number=5860073

for the hideous details on this patent.