lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Keys, an attempt to understand

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Keys, an attempt to understand
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 09:00:36 -0500 (EST)

> > for its handling. The DOS keyboard doesn't have any of the special
> > vt100 keys mentioned below.
> >
> > > #   Function key 1: 0x108
> > > # vt100   Help Key: 0x108
> > > # vt100     Do Key: 0x109
> > > # vt100   Find Key: 0x10A
> > > # vt100 Select Key: 0x10B
> > > # vt100 Insert Key: 0x10C
> > > # vt100 Remove Key: 0x10D
>
> And I thought I was confused before!  My DOS keyboard has these keys;
> they are just given different names.  I use with varying frequency

not exactly - they're not really the same keys, but a lot of emulators
are using them as the same keys.

> four PC keyboards: the "newer" 106-key Japanese, 101-key English,
> NEC 98 (the most divergent), and Fujitsu FMR.  All of them have those
> keys -- what I call the six-key pad, two rows of three keys  usually
> located to the right of the alphabet keys and above the arrow keys.
>
> What is the difference if I run Lynx directly on a DOS machine, or
> run a telnet on the same DOS machine and manipulate Lynx running on
> a Unix host?

it really depends on what your terminal is doing - for example in
xterm, I'm mapping the keys to keep their names consistent with the
key faces.  Some emulators use the same feel for the keys (which
moves some of them around, so PageUp/PageDown are not Prior/Next).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden