lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev bloating binaries (was clue)

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev bloating binaries (was clue)
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:58:22 -0500

On Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 11:42:37AM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > Do you have a list of "features" you want to see as compile time options
> To mention this is unfair since Jim is already working on it, but as
> an example of the humongous amount of debugging code, there needs to
> be a way to turn off CTRACE and TRACE. The saving in binary size is
> significant. In _release_ (production-level) code sets, the toggle to
> turn trace on/off should not be compiled in as the default.

I've patched against dev16 (nothing here should have changed a for a
while) 2 "retro" Lynx changes. One removes GOPHER code, and the other
removes TRACE code. I set these up as configure flags (--disable-gopher,
--disable-trace).

My results on NetBSD binary sizes:

$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/lynx
-rwxr-xr-x  1 jim  wheel  1040384 Feb 26 05:44 /usr/local/bin/lynx
$ /usr/local/bin/lynx -version
Lynx Version 2.8.2dev.15 (28 Jan 1999)
$ ls -l ./lynx
-rwxr-xr-x  1 jim  wheel  958464 Feb 26 22:51 ./lynx
$ ./lynx -version
Lynx Version 2.8.2dev.16 (08 Feb 1999)

These 2 changes knocked off about 90K. The patch is just a skeleton
fix, since I haven't updated any documentation on gopher searches,
installation issues, other modules that reference gopher-holes, etc. You
will also need to run autoconf to generate a new configure script, since
I modified the configure.in file and reran autoconf myself.

While poking in the configure definitions, I noticed the configure code
for "enable-debug" includes object module debug information. I was
misled by prior comments in the code that it related to the Lynx trace
logic, so I've revised the option definition. I ran "strip" on the
binary, which could be another configure switch I guess... The trace
option I called "NO_LYNX_TRACE" to differentiate it from "DEBUG".

The gopher module shrank over 30K:

33061 Jan 30 16:47 lynx2-8-2dev.15/WWW/Library/unix/HTGopher.o
   93 Feb 26 23:38 lynx2-8-2dev.16/WWW/Library/unix/HTGopher.o

I haven't touched CTRACE, since others are working on that.

Marvin the Paranoid Android.

When *was* the last time you saw a gopher?