lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev stopping when viewing a site

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev stopping when viewing a site
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 14:43:52 +0900 (JST)

> My conclusion about "Tansparent" vs 'trydefault' was based on that fact:
> let we have html page with lots of entities like ¥∧&something;
> then in transparent mode these entities will have no translation
> so we saw them verbatim, instead old behaviour (before my changes)
> was based on using 7-bit approximations. IMO CJK behave the same way.
>
> I mean translation "TO charset" e.g. to x-transparent, to any_CJK yes?
> (not from ...)

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, and I can only speak for myself
(although I suspect most CJK users would have a similar preference).
What I say is not a criticism nor an endorsement of what you have done
or plan to do.  It is only my preference for how Lynx should work
concerning the display character set euc-jp.

I do not think there is any problem with x-transparent showing entities
verbatim ("¥" = "¥").  It is pretty nebulous just what "transparent"
means, anyway, IMO.  CJK are different, however, in that the user expects
a "normal" display, i.e., the user expects to see _characters_, not code,
presented on the screen, preferably in the same way as any other program
displays them.  Therefore, ¥ should produce a yen sign, and ü
should show up as a 'u' with and umlaut above it.  It makes sense to have
7-bit approximations be the default because then it is not machine specific.
A person will not be overly surprised to see a "u:" where there is a ü,
whereas "ü" would be much less desirable.

I have relied on this behavior in the past to create my own default
character set, by simply copying it over src/chrtrans/def7_uni.tbl.
(An example entry is "0x5c U+00a5" to replace "U+00a5:YEN" because
this gives me a true yen sign on a Japanese Windows machine).  It is
a kind of trick to get a display character set that matches the
machine I am running the terminal emulator on.  It is some hybrid
cp???_uni.tbl.  I suppose I could even contact Microsoft to find
out what the "official" one is, if I cared enough.

So to bring this long story to a close, what would be perfect is to
have a configurable, non-generic default, or perhaps more simply, to
"hard code" the default right in the description of the character set
so that a simple edit of UCdomap.h to replace:
   dfont_unicount,dfont_unitable,463,dfont_replacedesc,\
(I am not trying to say this is "right" or "better", quite the opposite,
it is the only way I can think to do what I'd like to do.) with:
   dfont_unicount_cp???,dfont_unitable_cp???,224,dfont_replacedesc_cp???,\
would switch from 7 bit approximations to the character set that is
appropriate for a particular user.

__Henry