lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] a solution for this problem?

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] a solution for this problem?
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 20:24:30 +0000

On 2023-01-21 19:34, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>> Only way I could share it is as an attachment,
>> its something like three pages of characters.
>
> I guess that's just too long then. Links (GET requests specifically)
> aren't required to work if they're above 1024 characters long.

According to RFC 7230 (which sets out the requirements for URIs/URLs),
section 3.1.1,

  It is RECOMMENDED that all HTTP senders and recipients support,
  at a minimum, request-line lengths of 8000 octets.

  https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7230#section-3.1.1

There were some long-standing limitations in certain browsers (glares
at IE) where URLs over 2000 characters would cause problems, but
most servers and user-agents should handle that just fine.

And according to RFC 2119, RECOMMENDED/SHOULD definitions:

  SHOULD:  This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that
  there may exist valid reasons in particular circumstances to
  ignore a particular item, but the full implications must be
  understood and carefully weighed before choosing a different
  course.

  https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2119

So if lynx or links is balking at limits above 1024 bytes, perhaps
that ought to be raised to at least a baseline of 8000 bytes?

-tim