lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] A VCS for lynx

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] A VCS for lynx
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 19:12:33 +0000

On 2023-02-17 14:38, Tom Schwindl wrote:
> I wonder if there is interest in a VCS for doing development work.
> It's kind of cumbersome to deal with tarballs and it gets
> unclear/messy very quickly.

I'd created a repo for personal use at one point.  It wasn't too
hard, putting all the tarball download links in a file (along with
the directory-name it went into because IIRC there were one or two
where the tarball name didn't match the directory inside the tarball,
and the version number to act as the description for the commit-message),
then doing something like

  $ git init lynx
  $ mkdir data
  $ head -1 urls.txt
  http://.../lynx-1.2.3.tgz lynx-1.2.3.tgz 1.2.3
  $ while read URL DIRNAME DESC
   do
     wget "$URL"
     F="${URL##*/}"
     tar xzvf "$F"
     rsync -avr --delete "$DIRNAME/" data/
     git add -A data/
     git commit -am "$DESC"
   done < urls.txt

I'm recreating it from memory, but the basic idea remains, downloading
each tarball, unpcking it, then rsyncing it in a directory one level
down from where the .git/ directory was (so the .git/ folder didn't
get nuked ), adding/removing all the files from the git index, and
then committing it with the intended message (in my case, I used
the version-number as the commit-message).

I ended up discarding the repo after I chasing down the issue that
led me to do this in the first place, but hopefully that gives you
some foundation to run with.

-tim