lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] A VCS for lynx

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] A VCS for lynx
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2023 14:28:52 -0800

Thomas Dickey wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 08:08:12PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>
> > These are called "RCS IDs", but TTBOMK lynx is developed in PRCS.
>
> was -
>       https://invisible-island.net/lynx/lynx-develop.html#patches

The referenced doc says:

| the user community views each phase of Lynx's versions as stable

-- referering to my comment archived at:

    https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/lynx-dev/2022-11/msg00005.html

|| Thomas will be more modest, but basically every 'dev' release of Lynx
|| is rock steady and might as well be released as a simple point release.
|| Stability bugs are extremely rare.

I'm a bit bemused to see my standalone opinion attributed to 'the user
community' as a whole!  There might be others here who would disagree;
don't really know...

In any case, this was used in reference to:

| Currently (as of 2023), I am simplifying the versioning by eliminating
| the PRCS-dependent dev, pre and rel tags

-- which is news to me.  Possibly good news, I think...

The last version seen on the mailing list, and mentioned on
https://lynx.invisible-island.net/current/CHANGES, is '2.9.0dev12'.
Thomas, are we to expect that the next version will be '2.9.0.13' and
we'll go forward from there with purely numeric versions?

I didn't intend for you to lose the ability to use the numbering system
to clearly delineate 'prerelease' from 'release' versions!  It can be a
useful project capability to have a 'current release' vs. a 'forward
developmental / unstable' version.  Many projects do this with more
subtle indications, like odd vs. even last digits in one of the dotted
values.  Or high numbers like '97' in the last value, implying 'almost
+1 on the next digit'.  Do you intend to switch to something like that?