m17n-list

Re: [m17n-list] Issues in ne-trad and ne-rom

From: Santosh Pradhan
Subject: Re: [m17n-list] Issues in ne-trad and ne-rom
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 22:43:51 +0545

Kenichi,
We have been waiting for a response from Suyash unfortunately havent heard from him yet.

These layouts were initially proposed by MPP and were handed over to LTK. I am not sure if LTK has made any changes to the original layout but the layout at http://ltk.org.np/keyboard_layouts.php does meet all requirements for typing in Nepali. I know it might not be wise to rely on solely my opinion but I would say that there are bugs in the current mapping and changes I have proposed here are fixes.

Lets take each change individually
ne-rom.mim
Lines 40 and 58 added Zero width joiner and non joiner - ZWJ and ZWNJ which were missing. These characters are essential and were present in the original MPP layout.

Line 73
-  ("L" ?ळ)
+  ("L" ?॥)
the character ळ is not used in Nepali at all, and according to LTK L should map to ॥

Line 91
-  ("_" ?॒)
+  ("_" ?_)
the symbol  ॒ anudatta as it is called is also never used in Nepali text, according to LTK _ simply maps to _ underscore

Lines 38-39 not sure if this is necessary but thought ( and )  needs to be escaped

ne-trad.mim

Please note that in the current mim these four keys % ^ & *  dont have a mapping. I have added mappings those four keys and rearranged the keys such that whole number row keys are together that would be lines 35-44 in new version.

Lines 38 and 55 : these should map to ZWJ and ZWNJ as per LTK
line 101: | should map to ं

I would say we can incorporate these changes. I would be glad to answer any questions should they arise.

Thanks
Santosh

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM, K. Handa <address@hidden> wrote:
In article <CAJ=address@hidden>, Santosh Pradhan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello m17n contributers,
> I submitted this patch sometime ago fixing issues with ne-trad and ne-rom.
> I am not sure if I followed correct procedure for this (I am sorry am new
> to this) can somebody please accept or comment on the comment on this.

I'm very sorry for not responding on that matter.  Somehow
your mail didn't reach me.  I've just read it on the web.

As the input methods ne-trand and ne-rom were contributed by
address@hidden, I added he/she in CC: of this mail.

As the comments says that both of them implements the input
methods published by MPP, if some mappings are different,
it's a bug.  But, it seems that the original input method
softwares are now maintained (and developped) by LTK.  So,
if the mappings were changed by LTK, we can't say that the
current mis-matchings are bugs of ne-rom.mim and
ne-trad.mim.  I don't know what actually happend.

Anyway, in the latter case, perhaps we should provide new
input methods ne-ltk-rom.mim and ne-ltk-trad.mim.  However,
if most Nepali users now use input methods maintained by
LTK, fixing the current one is better.

Santosh and Suyash, could you please discuss and decide what
is the right thing for Nepali users?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden