m17n-list

Re: Request to add a new layout for Malayalam

From: Ajith R
Subject: Re: Request to add a new layout for Malayalam
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2023 19:21:18 +0000 (UTC)

Dear Mike,

I could add a third layer of most of the rarerly used characters to the layout.
I have also added user input variables. Both mim files have changed and are
attached. I have also updated the gitlab repo
(https://gitlab.com/ajithramayyan/puthunira) .

I have more doubts -

1) How can I specify a fourth level - one obtained by pressing Shift and the
third level modifier together?

2) How do I specify the sequence of a character formed from a keypress using
third level modifier followed by a first/second level character?

In the pnc layout  G-h forms ഩ. If this is followed by the "chillu" forming key
- r, I want it to be changed to ൻ.  In the modified pnc mim file, line 269 I
tried (G-hr "ൻ"), without any luck. What change does it require?

3) I also want the vowel keys to form the vowel signs when they are pressed
after a consonant (or the gemination key I defined). Currently vowel signs are
formed based on what was typed last. If not consonants, vowel letters form.
While this is okay, it is not ideal. After pressing delete or moving the
cursor, it will not provide vowel signs. Does
https://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/m17n/m17n-db.git/tree/MIM/bn-national-jatiya.mim
 implement such a logic? Could you explain it a bit?

Thanks again for your time,
Ajith

On Sunday, 5 November, 2023 at 03:13:16 pm IST, Mike FABIAN