make-alpha

Re: A simple patch.

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: A simple patch.
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 08:12:19 -0400

On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 20:50 +0200, Ramón García wrote:
> .OUT_OF_DATE=${or ${args ${foreach src,$^,${gt ${mtime $src} ${mtime
> address@hidden

Just FYI, you don't need the 'args' or 'or' functions here.  Any
non-empty value is considered out of date, so if gt returns a non-empty
value for anything you want to rebuilt.  So, just:

.OUT_OF_DATE=${strip ${foreach src,$^,${gt ${mtime $src} ${mtime address@hidden

is good enough.

Anyway, I think there's an excellent chance we'll need to invent some
new functions, but I'd prefer to put this off until we have a better
idea of exactly how the rest of the features will work.  As I mentioned
in my other email (that crossed yours in the internet!), we will have
Guile support, at least as an option.  I'd prefer not to reinvent a
whole new language in make functions if I can help it.