Re: [Mingw-msys] RE: Differences between mingw-make and msys' make

From: Soren A
Subject: Re: [Mingw-msys] RE: Differences between mingw-make and msys' make
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:39:14 +0000 (UTC)

Earnie Boyd <address@hidden> wrote around 25 Sep 2002
news:address@hidden:

> I'm all for using VPATH, and if some vendor make doesn't work I always
> replace it.  I'm not arguing about not using VPATH.  My argument is to
> "if some vendor make doesn't work, replace it with what does."  Gmake is
> freely available.

On this point i agree heartily with you. Aside from the clarification of
the misunderstanding concerning "portability" that Paul's next follow-up
discusses, i find it silly and stubborn when people complain that their
'make' won't do a GNU Makefile right. I've been flogging that horse over
on the PNG-Implement List and boy are those folks stubborn ;-).

Nonetheless partly because of that I am now making an effort to learn what
some *nix-standard 'make's do and don't do -- like a 'make' I'd find
supplied by the vendors of an SGI system or a Sun system. If anyone knows
about some resources to look at in this regard I'd appreciate hearing about
it. Aside from the GNU 'make' manual, that is, which has a very good
section which explains which features of GNU make are unique to it.

  Best,
   Soren