Re: [Mingw-msys] RE: Differences between mingw-make and msys' make

From: Soren A
Subject: Re: [Mingw-msys] RE: Differences between mingw-make and msys' make
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 04:36:58 +0000 (UTC)

Earnie Boyd <address@hidden> wrote around 24 Sep 2002
news:address@hidden:

> No, Soren had made mention of portable Makefile for use by some other
> make besides gmake.  VPATH isn't portable for this situation.

No. None of the above. All completely whack. Rewind; erase.

The criticism concerning VPATH was completely based on ignorance --
your's, Earnie. There is something about how GNU configure scripts work
that you aren't aware of. I wasn't writing about using VPATH in any
non-portable manner, or of causing VPATH to be introduced into build
configuration files where they are not *always* placed routinely by GNU
autotool-based 'configure's.

I suggest you realize that you didn't understand what I was talking
about and just took "VPATH" as a red flag.

I also suggest if you still have questions, not challenging me to
explain this further. Merely running any reasonable Autotools-based
package 'configure' in a separate build dir from where the 'configure'
script itself is located (along with all the package source files), and
then opening up the Makefile in a text editor and looking within the
first 10 or so lines from the top of the file, is the recommended
starting place to embark on discovering this aspect of GNU-standard
build configuration. I didn't invent it (GNU-standard) and I am working
extra-hard to conform to it. I won't engage here in discussions
defending it either.

   Goodnight,
    Soren