Re: Make on XP - shell selection?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Make on XP - shell selection?
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:22:27 +0200

> From: "grischka" <address@hidden>
> Cc: <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:25:14 +0200
>
> > Please suggest another way, if you can.  Whenever Make wants to use
> > the shell, it does this:
> >
> >     shell = allocated_variable_expand_for_file ("$(SHELL)", file);
> >
> > That is, it simply looks at its database of variables, and extracts
> > the value from there.  Unless we store there the full absolute file
> > name of the shell's executable when we see its definition, how will we
> > make sure Make uses that executable when the time comes to invoke
> > commands?
>
> I don't see the problem. If make needs to examine or adjust the shell
> filename for technical reasons then it much better does that with the
> expanded result of SHELL. It can look for it in the PATH if neccessary,
> and decide from the filename whether it is comspec or sh-like or
> non-standard.
>
> Basically, in job.c:construct_command_argv:
>
>     shell = allocated_variable_expand_for_file ("$(SHELL)", file);
>     #ifdef WINDOWS32
>       w32_adjust_shell_and_set_mode_flags (&shell);
>     #endif

I'm not sure I follow: are you suggesting to write a function named
w32_adjust_shell_and_set_mode_flags that would search for SHELL along
PATH, like find_and_set_default_shell does now?  That'd be a terrible
cycle killer, because this function would be called on each command
invocation.

Or am I missing something?