Re: Make on XP - shell selection?

From: grischka
Subject: Re: Make on XP - shell selection?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 01:38:56 +0200

From: "Dave Korn"

> Ummm, that doesn't really sound like a well thought through plan
> to me.

That only means it can still happen.

>   Well, this is something that is easily amenable to testing and measurement.
> It would be pretty trival to add a call to a path search (even one that is
> just trivially performed and the results thrown away; it'd still prove the
> point) controlled by an option switch and time a few big complex builds both
> with and without.

Measurement may be trival, interpretation of the result often
not quite. Here is something to think about:

I tested with an up-to-date project. It has 20 subprojects,
that means the top makefile runs 20 commands that are all
sub-makes. The sub-makes mostly report 'nothing to do', except
two that run two sub-makes each again. The timings are from
hot cache.

make CVS as is :
    7.09 seconds

make CVS with per command path search :