RE: why does command echo \\\foobar print \\foobar

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: why does command echo \\\foobar print \\foobar
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 20:56:36 -0800

Well, what you sent me prints correctly, so it must be the Windows port of GNU
that is doing this

> With the makefile
>
> foobar:
>                 echo \\\foobar
> why
>
> C:\Temp>make foobar
> \\foobar
>
> Where is this explained in the manual?

Paul says:  (...) then there's a bug in GNU make's fast-path
backslash handling for Windows systems.

But Paul, one more thing, where does it say in the manual, that it should be
\foobar (one slash).  I only see, that \\ at the _end_ of the command, is
escaped, but from my reading of the manual, it seems to indicate that this is
only for the end, in the middle of a command, \ is not any special.