maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] RFC: More stats on job page (release+1)

From: Maxime Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] RFC: More stats on job page (release+1)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 10:16:11 -0700

* Jeroen van Rijn <address@hidden> [2012-04-11 17:23:53]:

> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 16:36, Thomas Petazzoni
> <address@hidden>wrote:
>
> > Yes, you're right, I was testing with the US or UK ones. With the EU
> > one it seems to work properly. See http://dev.maposmatic.org/jobs/480
> > for example (but PDF takes 169 MB!).
> >

> I'm pleasantly surprised it took only 6 minutes to render a map that large.
> Stats-addict that I am, seeing that job page gave me an idea for a new
> feature (for the next major release after this upcoming one).
> .
> OcitySMap spits out a lot of interesting and useful information, but hardly
> any of it can be found on the job page.
> It would be nice to see:
> - area in km2
> - scale
> - number of streets / amenities
> - number of pages for multi-page render
>
> If I'm not mistaken all of this already gets output as debug info. I
> propose a citymap.stats file gets written containing these stats in a
> simple key=value format, which MapOSMatic can then pick up and display on
> the job page for the finished job.
>
> Unless the core devs believe this will add clutter to the job page or
> otherwise object, I'll add it to a task for myself as a low priority
> weekend hack.

Actually MapOSMatic and OCitysmap (and the rendering daemon) only
"communicate" through a database. This allows for the web service to run
on a machine independant of the rendering pipeline (that's also why the
local path to the renderings is configurable, so you can have a network
mount from the machine hosting the renderings for example).

Having this kind of file is only possible if the two reside on the same
machine. Thus the only solution is to extend the Django model for the
rendering jobs, which would then be filled in by OCitySMap as renderings
are completed, so they can then be displayed from the web application.

Good idea though, but that's obviously low priority in the grand scheme
of things that lay between us and putting dev.m.o in production.

/Maxime
--
Maxime Petazzoni <http://www.bulix.org>
 ``One by one, the penguins took away my sanity.''