maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Question about abbreviations in i18n.py

From: Rodrigo Avila
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Question about abbreviations in i18n.py
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:30:10 -0300

Hi Thomas,

Considering "Avenida Osvaldo Aranha": "Osvaldo Aranha" is the avenue's name.

But, in Brazil, we can find street signs describing this avenue as "Avenida" (whole word) or "Av." (abbreviation). In Brazilian Portuguese, both ways is correct. That's why, in some OSM cities, we found "Avenida Osvaldo Aranha", and in others, "Av. Osvaldo Aranha".

If we freely and roughly translate this to en_US, we can find street signs with "Osvaldo Aranha Avenue" or "Osvaldo Aranha Ave."

--
Rodrigo de Avila
Analista de Desenvolvimento

address@hidden • www.avila.net.br

Em 18 de abril de 2012 16:20, Thomas Petazzoni <address@hidden> escreveu:
Hello Rodrigo,

Le Wed, 18 Apr 2012 16:08:12 -0300,
Rodrigo Avila <address@hidden> a écrit :

> in i18n.py, class i18n_pt_br_generic(i18n), we have "words" in
> APPELATIONS, right? But, what about "abbreviations"?
>
> Example: here in Brazil, we have a lot of streets with name "R.
> Flores da Cunha" instead "Rua (Street) Flores da Cunha"; or "Av.
> Osvaldo Aranha" instead "Avenida (Avenue) Osvaldo Aranha".
>
> In this map [1], the streets where placed in the 'R' part of the
> index; the avenues, on 'A'.
>
> [1]
> http://www.maposmatic.org/rendered//043073_2012-04-18_20-42_PresidentePrudenteSP.png

First of all, we should determine whether having name='R. Flores da
Cunha' in the OSM database is valid or not. In most countries, it seems
like the convention is to use the complete words, i.e 'Rua Flores da
Cunha'. In the precise case of those streets, are you sure that 'R.
Flores da Cunha' is the official name of the street, as written on the
street labels visible on the terrain? Or is it something that the OSM
contributor has done to "save space" in street names?

Depending on the answer to this question, then either the solution is
to fix OSM, or the solution is to improve OcitySMap to handle those
abbreviations.

Best regards,

Thomas
--