maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [Maposmatic-contact] MapOSMatic and GErman Map Styl

From: Sven Geggus
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] [Maposmatic-contact] MapOSMatic and GErman Map Style
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:16:34 +0200

Thomas Petazzoni schrieb am Dienstag, den 24. April um 10:49 Uhr:

> But I guess for cities located in Germany, the name= tag contains a
> german name, no? It's only in cities outside of Germany that name=
> might contain the name in a different language and name:de= the
> corresponding german name. Correct?

Right! What we would like to do medium-term is trying to prefer int-name
over name outside the german language area. Unfortunately this is not
supported with the renderchain (mod_tile+tirex) we are currently using.

> Ok, good to know. We will have a look at this for our next planet
> import.

I really think that using the following more flexible database scheme would
be a good Idea:

* Import the most basic columns only and add a hstore colum using the
  new (r28156) --hstore-match-only option
* Use the delete Options for irrelevant tags (see default.style from german
  style)
* Create database views to simulate the table style expected by the particular
  mapnik style

This would even allow for rendering stuff like http://geo.dianacht.de/topo/
which is build using mapserver instead of mapnik.

Sven

--
Threading is a performance hack.
(The Art of Unix Programming by Eric S. Raymond)

/me is address@hidden, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web