metacosm-dev

Re: [Metacosm-dev] Talking parrot for M2

From: shinjisfriend
Subject: Re: [Metacosm-dev] Talking parrot for M2
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 22:50:16 +0200 (CEST)

>Raoul's parrot can now repeat what is said around it. You can test it >but the
>world needs to be updated by loading the new saved game or by >using
>auto_creation.

I tested it with Sun JDK. I have still problems with GCJ. All my time has been
consumed by a system reinstallation (hard disk change). By the way, I switched
to Debian, and it feels like to be a newbie again...Let's work with the JDK
only for some time again for efficiency.

>By the way, I had to give the parrot a BasicCreatureController to >make it
>work. It seems normal, but in the BCC, there is code specific >to Raoul which
>should go in a Role, in my opinion.

Absolutely. The Greeting capability should go in some kind of 'chat' role.

>There was a glitch in BasicCreature constructor which resulted in the >Senses
>not being registered in StimuliDispatchers. The setPlace >occured in the
>BasicEntity constructor, therefore the Sensorium was >empty and the
>registering did not happen.

I have met a similar problem. The construction phase of the game entities
should be better separated from their insertion in the game world.

The SetPlace should not occur in the constructors IHMO, but in the calling
functions. But this means that an entity object can 'exist' outside any place.

If we want to avoid to create this special case when an entity is not in any
place, we could create all entities in limbo, and
disable perceptions/actions there.

This is the kind of issue that needs to be documented in the Javadoc.

Regards

Horus

Web/Wap : www.netcourrier.com
Téléphone/Fax : 08 92 69 00 21 (0,34 € TTC/min)
Minitel: 3615 NETCOURRIER (0,15 € TTC/min)