mibble-users

Re: [Mibble-users] save loaded mibs

From: Per Cederberg
Subject: Re: [Mibble-users] save loaded mibs
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 18:06:26 +0100

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 09:59, wshang wrote:
> hi,
>     Load a mib cost minutes of time .
>     I wonder if there is a way to save the mibs that have been loaded.

Not yet. I'm planning to add Serialization support like has
been suggested here before. Don't think it will be added in
the near future, though, as it would require quite going
through a lot of code. (Not that the changes need to be so
substantial, though.)

>     I have read some of the Mibble sources. I found to do this is not
> so easy. Can all objects be saved to a file and be reloaded from it?
>     Many objects, such as Mib ,MibLoader ,MibLoaderLog, SymbolList,
> reference...
>     I was confused ...

Understood. The API is quite large and complex due to my
efforts of representing the MIBs *exactly* as read (without
loosig any information). So, in essence, Mibble builds an
internal model of the MIB that looks very much like the
actual text in the MIB file. The reason for this is to make
Mibble useful for as many applications as possible (being
a library that is usually a good idea).

Now, for most applications only certain fields are really
interesting and the most remain unused. So if you have
serious issues with speed and memory footprint, I'd suggest
to transform the Mibble representation into something more
convenient for your application. And then serializing into
XML as Rajneesh suggested might be a lot easier than
direcly with Mibble...

Cheers,

/Per