microdc-devel

[microdc-devel] news

From: Oskar Liljeblad
Subject: [microdc-devel] news
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:32:33 +0100

Thanks for the comments regarding future features in microdc!
I was first amazed that curses interface was so high in everyone's
list (or not! :).
Then I remember that early on I wanted a curses interface myself. :)

Anyway, I was inspired by the comments so I started to prepare a
curses interface for microdc some week ago. So far I've only completed
the first step: separating the user interface from the rest of the
code. Now it's much easier to add another user interface. Rest
assured, the Readline-based command line interface will always
be there. It's currently the main UI - I have't actually started
coding on the ncurses interface though.

If you're interested in seeing the changes, please feel free to
download my current code snapshot from:

  http://oskarsapps.mine.nu/microdc-0.11.1.tar.gz

Please note that there aren't any visible changes when using microdc.
So the tarball is probably only of use if you're 1) a developer or
2) interested in finding new bugs... (which is always appreciated).

Regarding multiple hub support: This is a feature I've been thinking
on for a while. The problem with multiple hub connections is that
it's not easy to identify user connections. Example: You've connected
to two hubs. On both these hubs there's a user with name "XYZ".
If you receive a user connection from someone who claims to be "XYZ",
you won't know which of the two users that is.

Perhaps it's not useful to know which hub that user is from anyway.
But there are other situations when it would be very useful to know
(perhaps you're sharing different files on different hubs?).

One solution would be to have microdc listen on multiple ports for
user connections (one port per hub). Another one to listen on request
(only when you receive a RevConnectToMe). Any suggestions or ideas?

Regards,

Oskar Liljeblad (address@hidden)