[Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt for mingw-cross-env

From: Mark Brand
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Qt for mingw-cross-env
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:14:49 +0200

Hi,

I have put together a makefile and patch for building Qt 4.6 "Technology Preview 1" in mingw-cross-env. Volker has a copy, and if he likes it I hope it will find its way into the repo, be useful, and improve through feedback.

The 2 main tricks are 1) building a minimal native Qt so we have the tools (qmake, moc, etc) we need, and 2) hacking the build system so we can use the configure script for the mingw32 target system. The configure script from Qt supports cross compiling for some targets, but not mingw32.

This is based on the method found here
http://divided-mind.blogspot.com/2007/09/cross-compiling-qt4win-on-linux.html

Qt.mak builds a static release version, which I think is consistent with the philosophy of mingw-cross-env. But it's pretty easy to change to shared linking and/or debug libraries for users who are so inclined (like me).

Volker's remarks and my responses follow:

I think that this discussion should go on the mailing list.

Yes.

Thanks for your great amount of work. As I'll have to
cross compile a Qt application for Windows in the near
future, this could be the first contribution which helps
_me_, personally, not "just" the project.

That's nice to hear. I'm glad to give something back to the project that you have invested a lot of effort into.

BTW, didn't I send you my previous work on Qt as a starting
point? I hope I did. For the reference, I attached it to this
mail.

Yes, I saw it then, and I've looked at again just now. Both yours and mine use the configure script. Another approach, seen in the Fedora and Suse RPMs, runs the binary configure.exe under Wine.

I wonder why you're using the qt-everywhere-* stuff instead
of just the qt-win-* package. Is there any special reason
for that?

Since Qt 4.6 there is just one unified source package for all platforms. Nokia is keen to introduce new platforms, so I guess the unified source package simplifies things. Actually this comes in handy for cross building, since we have to build both a native Qt and the win32-g++ Qt.