Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] mingw-cross-env-2.9: DEbian Squeeze AMD65: Fa

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] mingw-cross-env-2.9: DEbian Squeeze AMD65: Failed to build package boost!
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 02:15:36 +0100

Joost Kraaijeveld <address@hidden> schrieb:
> [Note: I got a non-delivery message so I try again, this time with a
> download link instead of an attachement]

Sorry for that. I raised the mailing list's max_message_size
to 512 KB.

> Here are the full log files:
> http://trac.askesis.nl/downloads/logs.tar.bz2
> I did "make gcc", followed by "make boost".

Thanks. I'll have a look at it when I find some time.

BTW, is anyone else on this list able to reproduce this problem?
Is anyone else able to help?

> An additional question is it possible to do an upgrade for just specific
> packages, as "make update" updated everything?

As you are the second person who asks that, I think I should
fix the documentation. It obviously leads to the impression
that "make update" would be a normal update mechanism, similar
to "aptitude update" or "gem update" of other package systems.

However, that impression is wrong!

I just improved the docs to make this more clear:
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/09107000dd04

The correct analogy to "aptitude update" is:

    hg pull -u

For more information, please have a look at:
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/raw-file/tip/doc/index.html#development

As the development version is always tested on at least
one operating system, it is not necessary to cherry-pick
the packages to update in the fear of breaking everything
when doing a "full" update.

Also note that just because many packages are updated,
you don't need to rebuild all of them. If you just want
to update SDL, simply run "make sdl" instead of "make".

However, it would still be nice if you could build the
other packages, too, because that's a valuable test for
the project. I recommend to run "make sdl" first, and
to run "make" later over night.

In the unusual case that some package in the development
version is really outdated, please report that problem on
the list rather than fixing it only for yourself by calling
"make update" or similar.

Sometimes a package update consists of just increasing the
version number ("make update"), but it often needs some
additional work on the build instructions.

Greets,

    Volker

--
Volker Grabsch