Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: Zlib and OpenSSL headers on Ubuntu 9.10

From: Tony Theodore
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Re: Zlib and OpenSSL headers on Ubuntu 9.10
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 01:05:26 +1100

2010/1/26 Volker Grabsch <address@hidden>:
> Tony Theodore <address@hidden> schrieb:
>> 2010/1/26 Tony Theodore <address@hidden>:
>> > The native build steps on glib and gsoap seem to require the header
>> > packages (zlib1g-dev and libssl-dev) on Ubuntu. Should these be added
>> > to the requirements section of the docs, or is there a way to use the
>> > headers under usr/i686-pc-mingw32/include ?
>>
>> Ignore that question, the headers should be the same as the installed
>> libraries.
>
> I think this is an important question, because there seems to
> be a misconception about native builds in mingw-cross-env:
>
> A native build in mingw-cross-env should _never_ require a library
> of the build system! In other words: The ubuntu packages zlib1g-dev
> and libssl-dev are _not_ official requirements, so glib and gsoap
> should also build on systems without zlib1g-dev and libssl-dev.
>
> However, glib seems to work fine on systems without zlib-devel
> libraries, and gsoap seems to work fine on systems without ssl-devel
> libraries. So it seems that e.g. the native glib is compiled with
> zlib just because zlib was _detected_, not because zlib is _needed_.

Ah, that's clearer now. It's unlikely that the build support tools
will be decrypting compressed archives, more likely to be doing core
file-system operations and text processing. I was thinking along the
lines of the header files being missing because Ubuntu is largely a
binary distribution.

> We should clarify this situation by adding corresponding "--disable-XXX"
> options to the native builds. It would be great if you could try to
> do that and if you could propose a corresponding patch.

Shall do, that's seems a very clean solution.

Tony