Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Urgent problem: "windres" producing UNICODE t

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Urgent problem: "windres" producing UNICODE text for menus/dialogs
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 17:06:11 +0100

Ron Aaron <address@hidden> schrieb:
> when I ran 'windres' to compile the resources I ended
> up with UNICODE text in the resource rather than ANSI text!
[...]
> The 'windres' in the Windows-based Mingw package works (on the exact
> same file) just fine, to produce ANSI menus etc.  The version in the
> Mingw package is "GNU windres (GNU Binutils) 2.18.50.20080109", the
> one in ours is "GNU windres (GNU Binutils) 2.20"
>
> If there is a workaround, please let me know.

I don't know of any workaround. I didn't even know about the problem.
I have no idea why the GNU Binutils changed their behaviour from 2.18
to 2.20. It would be great if you could post that issue to the GNU
Binutils project, too.

We don't patch Binutils or configure it in any unusual way, so
it appears to be its default behaviour and has nothing to do with
mingw-cross-env. If there's any configure switch to adjust that
behaviour, I'd of course adjust mingw-cross-env's build script
immediately. However, I don't know of any such switch.

Just a wild thought, although I really hope this doesn't matter: Have
you tried different settings for LC_ALL and/or LANG? Maybe there's
a difference if you set:

    LC_ALL=C
    LC_ALL=en_US
    LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8